1. Fourteen small broidered berries on the hem
Of Circe’s mantle, each of magic gold;
2. Fourteen of lone Calypso’s tears that rolled
Into the sea, for pearls to come of them;
3. Fourteen clear signs of omen in the gem
With which Medea human fate foretold;
4. Fourteen small drops, which Faustus, growing old,
Craved of the Fiend, to water Life’s dry stem.
5. It is the pure white diamond Dante brought
To Beatrice; (6.) the sapphire Laura wore
When Petrarch cut it sparkling out of thought;
7. The ruby Shakespeare hewed from his heart’s core;
8. The dark, deep emerald that Rossetti wrought
For his own soul, to wear for evermore.